Last updated on October 17th, 2021 at 02:01 pm
The content on this webpage contains paid/affiliate links. When you click on any of our affiliate link, we may get a small compensation at no cost to you. See our affiliate disclosure for more info -----------------------
The Juki DDL-5550 Industrial Sewing Machine is a straight-stitch, one-needle equipment that is manufactured for use with medium-weight fabrics to create a wide range of everyday apparel. Although made as an industrial sewing machine, it can also be ideal for domestic use.
Why choose the Juki DDL-5550 Industrial Sewing Machine?
The Juki DDL-5550, also referred these days as the Juki DDL-5550N is made by the Japanese manufacturer Juki, which is the leading company in terms of sewing technology and quality.
This sewing machine alone is designed to operate quietly, making them ideal for use at home. With the addition of the servo motor, running this equipment is even quieter. These days, you can still get a unit with the noisier clutch motor, but in most cases, you can have the option to change it into a servo motor.
This is an industrial sewing machine that is designed for home use. In short, your tasks will be quicker and more convenient to finish whatever your sewing projects are, whether it’s creating or repairing garments or fixing tarpaulins and sails.
Description of Juki DDL-5550 Industrial Sewing Machine features
This Juki sewing machine utilizes a servo motor which is quieter and lighter compared to the clutch motors. The servo is also more energy-efficient, specifically saving as much as 90% than when you’re using a clutch motor. It also provides a consistent sewing speed regardless of the amount of pressure on the pedal.
With a minimum sewing speed of 5,000 stitches per minute and a maximum of 5,500 stitches per minute, the sewing machine is definitely a great investment whether you’re thinking of running a large-scale garment factory or establishing yourself as an independent work-at-home seamstress or tailor.
Despite being manufactured for home use, this is still an industrial machine and thus isn’t portable. It is shipped to your doorstep completely assembled with a dimension of 48″x20″x48″ inches and a weight of 250 lbs.
Who should buy the Juki DDL.5550?
There are many people who can find DDL-5550 a great investment, including:
- Ideal for enterporenuers with an eye on establishing large scale garment manufacturing business;
- Home-based tailors, seamstresses, and dressmakers who are looking for a powerful machine that works quietly in domestic settings;
- Arts and crafts enthusiasts who are passionate about fabric works, including quilts.
Quick Recap of Features
- The sewing speed of this machine ranges from 5,000 to 5,500 stitches per minute
- The maximum length of the stitches can go as long as 5 millimeters
- Its dimension is 48 inches long, 20 inches wide and 48 inches high
- Utilizes a quiet 110-volt servo motor
- The machine is ideal for medium-weight material or fabric
- Has automatic thread trimmer for greater convenience
- Uses Organ DBx1 needles, 16×231 or sizes 9 to 18
- The needle bar stroke is 7 millimeter long
- The lift of the presser foot is 5.5 millimeters by hand and 13 millimeters by the knee.
- Has a full-rotary hook system
- Auto-lubrication system for convenient operation and maintenance
- Utilizes the Juki New Defrix Oil No. 1 lubricating oil or any product with ISO VG7
Merits or Pros
- Ideal for creating a variety of apparel including dress shirt, polo shirt, men’s jacket, briefs, brassiere, shorts, and trousers
- Operates silently, thanks to the servo motor
- Speed motor is adjustable
- The built-in bobbin winder saves time because it lets you refill bobbins while sewing.
Demerits or Cons
- May not be suitable for very light fabric like satin. You might want to specifically order model Nos. DDL-5550NA-7 or 5550NA.
- It can be difficult to operate on heavy-weight materials such as leather. You can consider opting for the DDL-5550NH-7 or the 5550NH models.
- Remember that this is a straight-stitch sewing machine only. So don’t expect it to make excellent zigzag stitching for you.
What should be included?
The sewing machine comes with a fully-assembled working table when delivered. Here are more items included in the package:
- A bobbin with a case
- Sewing light
- Two screwdrivers
- A bottle of lubrication oil
- Operational instructions/manual